Search This Blog

Friday, February 28, 2014

A Hug For Grama Carol



My Grandmother's birthday is this Sunday. No, not Grama Mary, although I've certainly mentioned her before! Sunday March 2 is the birthday of my mom's mom, Grama Carol. 

When I was a year old my parents divorced and my mom and I  moved in with my grandparents.  Grama Carol and Pap Bill took care of me when my mom would go to her job at Hill's. I never wanted my mom to go to work and would always cry when she would leave but hugs from my Grama Carol always made me feel better. 

It was this memory that gave me the inspiration to make a special gift for Grama Carol's birthday.

A prayer shawl is a piece that is crocheted or knit to give another person warmth and comfort. It is called a prayer shawl because you can pray for the individual as you stitch or the recipient can wear it while they say their prayers or meditate. A prayer shawl is a comforting hug from one person to another. It shows the recipient that they are loved and cared for. 

When I heard about prayer shawls recently I knew that one would be perfect for Grama Carol. She is a devoted Catholic and says her rosaries often. As she recites the familiar prayers she can be surrounded by the warm hug of the shawl that I made for her.

Here are some photos of my progress so far. I found some simple instructions for constructing a prayer shawl here. 






What I've done so far.

Close up of hook and stitches

No comments:

Post a Comment